The time for being able to fully enjoy your deck is nearly upon us here in Connecticut. With spring and summer rolling around the corner, we’re sure you’ll be out there grilling, relaxing, and just sitting out on the deck enjoying the warmer weather. Before you get there, you notice that your deck, after many seasons, isn’t looking too great. You’re embarrassed to invite people over because of the state of your deck. What do you do? Do you resurface or do you restore? Read on to find out!
The answer can be a little bit of both. The principle here is simple. If you maintain something well, it will last longer. Your deck is no exception. When you decide you’re ready to make that commitment, you then begin to question where you start the process. The breakdown in this blog will make it easier for you to make an educated decision.
What is Deck Restoration?
So, what exactly is deck restoration? And why would you want to do that? To put it simply, it is the process of resurfacing, staining, sealing an existing deck. You would opt for this option if your deck were not too old but hasn’t been well-maintained over the years. You would also go for this option if the surface of your deck is fine but the railings or the stairs show some signs of wear and tear. Lastly, you can choose this option if you did not like the finish of your deck and wanted to replace it with something fresh or wanted a different material for your deck (like replacing wood decking with composite).
Our Seven-Step Deck Restoration Process
At Harmony Home Improvement, we have a comprehensive 7-step deck restoration process:
- Our process begins by checking for loosened nails and other fasteners and then either replace or reinstall them with deck screws that are made to withstand the test of time.
- Next, we reinforce loose deck/stair railings, sand, plane, and smooth raised board edges. We also replace rotted or damaged deck boards during this step.
- After that, we double-check that the deck has not pulled away from the house and that the ledger board is securely fastened to the framing of the house.
- Then we clean debris that accumulated between the deck boards to reduce mildew forming and to enhance drainage.
- We clean the decking with a pressure washer and biodegradable detergent to get it nice and sparkly.
- A stain is chosen and applied
- We prune/remove excess vegetation that’s growing around the deck to promote better air circulation and to prevent the growth of mold in/around the deck.
You’ll be able to enjoy your outdoor space for a long time when we are done with your deck restoration. Come back next month to find out more information about these two product lines!
No matter what your deck situation, Harmony Home Improvement is here to help. We have been the remodeling contractor of choice in Connecticut for 20 years. Give us a call at (860) 645-8899 or contact us online to get a free estimate today!