With winter ending, everyone is looking forward to spring and the warmth that it promises. Are you already making your spring cleaning checklist? While you’re at it, don’t forget to include your roof in the list of things you should take care of. Your trusted home improvement contractors from Harmony Home Improvement provides these tips to ensure you don’t miss a thing.
1. Give Your Trees a Trim
It is true that it’s nice to have trees in your yard but you should know it requires your attention, too. After all, you wouldn’t want to find out too late that it has already caused damage to your home.
Not many people realize how hanging branches can affect their roof and even their external vinyl siding. You don’t want your biggest investment to deteriorate because of a tree, so make sure that you contact a professional tree cutter to trim overgrown branches
2. See If There Are Signs of Leaks
Leaks are every homeowner’s nightmare, so it’s important that you thoroughly check your home for any signs of moisture intrusion coming from your roof, especially after a rough winter.
Water stains are an obvious sign of a leak. However, if you see black spots on your ceilings or walls, have your roof checked even if you don’t see water stains as they are an indication of excess moisture. Do not put off getting residential roofing services if you notice leaks or you might end up spending even more for repairs.
3. Free Your Gutters of Built-Up Debris
Leaves, twigs and other debris accumulate in your gutters over time. If you neglect them, those gutters will wear out faster and can even be a danger not only to your home but to your family as well. Allot a day for cleaning out your gutters and checking the condition of your roof. Your home will thank you for it.
Here are some Signs Your Roof Needs to Be Replaced Entirely:
1. You have multiple layers of shingles. This can indicate a roof that is older than 25 years, and you probably need a new roof.
2. Your shingles are losing granules. This means the shingles are past their life expectancy, or are defective. If the latter is the case, contact us to see if you could be eligible for reimbursement for the replacement. Also check if there are a bunch of granules in your gutters, which indicates the roof is near the end of its life cycle.
3. Missing shingles and tabs. This is an obvious sign you need an inspection, and possibly a new roof.
4. Chimney Leaks. The “flashing”, or the sheet metal that keeps the intersection between the chimney and roof watertight, sometimes needs to be replaced.
5. Your roof color is inconsistent. Darker color on some parts of the roof is an indication the shingle granules have worn away, and you might need a new roof.
6. A bouncy feeling – when you walk on the roof, it feels a bit like a trampoline and you experience bounce back. This means the underlayer is weakened from moisture and you could need a new roof.
7. Daylight in the attic – have you been up in the attic and noticed daylight streaming in unexpectedly? This is a sign you need a new roof. While you’re up there, we suggest checking to see if your insulation is moist.
Spring is the best time for you to check the integrity of your roofing. If you think it is going to need more than just cleaning, give the trusted pros of Harmony Home Improvement a call at (860) 516-9103 or fill out our online contact form for a FREE estimate. We serve Hartford, CT and the nearby areas